How to get rid of bedbugs
Bedbugs are blood-sucking insects that can live in clothing, bedding, mattresses and furniture. Bedbugs love body heat mixed with carbon dioxide. So, how to get rid of bedbugs?
At night they feed on your exposed skin, similar to mosquitoes. Depending on the person being bitten, you can develop a skin reaction of itchy red bumps up to 30 minutes after being bitten. These bumps can last for several days and even weeks if the problem is left untreated.
Bedbugs are not dangerous and they do not transmit disease.
Bedbugs are able to crawl from room to room, they can potentially invade all areas of your home or neighbouring properties if in the same complex. Bedbugs can be transported in your suitcase too so if you are travelling, you may find unwanted guests holidaying with you.
Follow our guide:
- Empty all drawers/wardrobes of clothes and remove all bedding from the bed. Take down curtains.
- Wash everything (if possible) at 60 degrees.
- Dry everything (if possible) in a tumble dryer for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a vacuum cleaner, hoover the room(s) affected including the bed frame, headboards and carpets.
- Place hoover bag in a sealed bag, place outside of your home ready to be collected by the bin men.
- Using diatomaceous earth powder, a protective suit, gloves and face mask, place the powder in a powder duster. Sprinkle every corner of the room affected covering all the carpet, mattresses, draws and wardrobes. Open the window and close the door for the rest of the day. After at least six hours hoover all the powder up over every inch of the room.
- Steam clean the carpet or any rugs. This will ensure that any bugs and eggs left after vacuuming will be eradicated).
- Using cleaning fluid and hot water, wipe the bed frame getting into all the crevices.
- Using cleaning fluid and hot water, wipe all drawers and wardrobes with cleaning fluid and hot water.
- We recommend you replace your mattress.
- If replacing your mattress is not an option, you can dust it with diatomaceous earth powder in a well-ventilated room then steam clean the mattress. You can then purchase a bedbug mattress protector to use once the mattress is completely dry.
Products you will need:
Diatomaceous Earth Powder
When using this product you must wear a mask as the powder must not be inhaled. Ingredients: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 500g (94% Silicon Dioxide plus small amounts of other minerals).
This duster is simple to use and compresses easier than other dusters. This is the perfect duster for applying powder into air vents or holes that are easily accessible to deal with wasps nests. Works perfectly with any powder insecticide or diatomaceous earth powder.
This Protective face mask protects against non-toxic and irritating dust up to 4 times the threshold limit value defined for the substance (TLV), with nose bridge. The valve facilitates inhalation and exhalation. The dolomite testing allows use for more than six hours. Non-reusable. Area of application: bagging cement, gypsum, grain, drilling, threshing, against allergy caused by flour dust, grinding, sawing, shredding, swine flu, bird flu, etc.
Protective suit with round hat and veil which is available in all sizes. The suit is made of hard-wearing pre-shrunk 100% polyester/cotton. It is designed for great visibility, protection, comfort and it is machine washable. The elasticated hat liner stops the hat moving whilst you are working. It comes with a detachable twin hoop veil that has excellent visibility. The suit has an elasticised waist, ankles and wrists with thumb loops and has ankle zips. There are 9 pockets (two in each arm, two breast pockets with a pen compartment, two waist pockets and one long leg pocket for any tools. It also has reinforced knee patches. This is a key component to keep yourself safe when using this how to get rid of bedbugs guide.
These protective gloves have long sleeves and are well ventilated. When you wear the protective suit with these gloves, pull the gloves over the arms of the suit to prevent any contact with the product you are using.
Mattress Steam Cleaner
This handheld steam cleaner with adjustable steam release has the British Allergy Foundation seal of approval. Comes with 3.5 bar pressure and 90g/min steam output. Working autonomy 0, 75 L and operating reach 7, 5 m. It is supplied with a shoulder strap and a full range of accessories.
Bed Bug mattress protector
This luxury machine washable anti-bacterial bed bug cover is easy to install. The mattress cover is sized to fit standard mattresses and zips up nice and tight to make your mattress bed bug proof. This mattress cover reduces allergy symptoms, will help you sleep better when you are not exposed to bed bugs, allergens, dust mites, and germs. No more waking up sneezing with a runny nose and itchy red eyes from allergens in your mattress. It will not change the feel of your mattress or bedding and it made so that there are no noisy or crinkly sounds whilst you sleep.
How to use a powder duster
We hope you found our how to get rid of bedbugs guide useful.