How to stop foxes coming into your garden
If you have ever come across a fox in your garden, particularly if you have children with you, it can be a very frightening experience.
Some foxes are not scared of people. More foxes are living in urban areas looking for food. Generally some foxes are not a risk to children, however there have been some incidents in the media that may suggest otherwise. To be on the safe side, always be vigilant around foxes where your children are concerned.
It goes without saying that family pets including rabbits, chickens and guinea pigs are at risk from this type of animal. The good news is that there is a humane and effective way of eradicating them from your garden for good.
We had a serious fox issue that went on for months in the Summer of 2012. The smell coming from the garden from the fox faeces and urine was terrible. We tried leaving lion manure around the garden, we used a fox repellent spray and even tried installing a battery operated radio at the end of the garden, but the smell was there the next day along with the faeces so they probably ended up inviting their foxy family and friends over for a party instead of scaring them off.
Don’t get us wrong, we are not fox haters. We had a little family of foxes in our garden and we waited for quite some time before we looked into the situation ourselves.
Follow our guide:
- Keep your garden clear of rubbish and and keep it tidy.
- Hose down any animal faeces you find in your garden daily. You can add a little citronella to the water as this will neutralise any smells they leave. Please note, if you have a cat or dog citronella can be toxic so do please check before you use it.
- Every other day move things around the garden, this will disturb a fox as they like their territory to remain the same.
- Keep hedging/bushes and trees trimmed and the grass cut regularly.
- If you can see an area where they like to hide or sleep, place something large in front of it, keep disturbing the area. Eventually they will not want to use it.
- Invest in a humane water based deterrent.
Products you need:
Jet Spray Repeller Motion Activated Fox Deterrent (click here to view on Amazon)
How it works
The device connects to your garden hose and is battery powered.
It fires a short 5 second burst of water when its sensor is triggered. After a short period of time, the animal stays away so you will not need to turn it on.
It protects your home, pets, flowers, trees and it waters your lawn in the Summer whilst you are at work too!
It is highly sensitive so if a family pet and/or family member wanders onto your lawn, they will get a soaking too!
In any event, if you want to put an end to picking up fox/cat poo when you don’t have a pet yourself, this is the one! We cannot highly recommend it enough.
Citronella (click here to view on Amazon)
A steam distilled, Citronella Essential Oil (Cymbopogan winterianus) that is refreshing and cleansing with a strong, lemon scent. Dilute at a percentage of 1% of the finished blend, typically 20 drops or 1ml of essential oil to 100ml of carrier oil. Do Not Use Undiluted on the skin.
If you have any other pest control issues, click on the relevant guides below: