How to treat a cold without medicine
When you get the first signs of a cold, flu or even covid, there are ways you can boost your immune system. Of course, there are times that antibiotics and/or pain relief is required and you should always consider these whenever your loved one is unwell. A trip to your GP just to make sure never hurt anyone.
It is widely known that certain fruits can loosen mucus and phlegm and keeps the respiratory system healthy. It contains bromelain, a powerful digestive enzyme that aids in digesting protein. Pineapple juice breaks down fats and also reduces inflammation. It is literally THE most effective natural medicine for a cold or cough. Click here to find out how you can stock up your natural medicine cabinet.
Ensure you seek medical advice before using this method.
First stock up your medicine cabinet with:
Follow our how to treat a cold without medicine guide:
- Put the kettle on.
- In a small cup or beaker add half a cup of boiling water, a quarter of a cup of pineapple juice and the juice of half a squeezed lemon and an orange.
- Add one teaspoon of Manuka Honey (never give honey to a child under the age of 1).
- Stir well. It should be hot enough to drink comfortably but not too cold otherwise you will not feel the effects.
- Make sure you do this at least three times a day for an adult, twice a day for a child, the last one of the day should be taken just before going to bed.
- If a cough is present, an added method we use is to rub the sole of the feet with Vicks Vapour Rub. This method has been used by our family for years and can temporarily ease a persistent coughing adult/child for a good few hours. Ensure you seek medical advice before using this method with a child. We contacted NHS Direct and they raised no concerns when we did this with our 8-year-old.
- If your baby has a stuffy nose, you can use a saline spray to clear it.
- For a natural way to deal with headaches associated with Coughs, Colds and Flu in adults, you can always try turmeric capsules. Click here to find out why turmeric is good to use for this purpose. Before taking any form of medicine, you should always check and read the label to see if this is suitable for you.
Pure New Zealand Manuka Honey 30+ will keep your immune system topped up and can be taken every day. It is known for its quality, purity and is known for his exceptional health benefits. Please note: Any type of Honey is not suitable for children under 12 months.
If you have babies or young children, stock up your cabinet with some invaluable items that will help to treat a cold without medicine so that the whole family get a better nights sleep
Saline Nasal Spray Natural Baby and Child Congestion Relief
This is a MUST for your cabinet. When our daughter was a baby, this saline spray was used very often to clear her little nose whenever it became stuffy. Using this type of product helped her to get a good sleep and us too. The best bit is that this can be used from birth. It is very simple and easy to use. Before you use it, spray a couple of times into your hand and then place it into position and spray inside in each nostril. It clears a stuffy nose straight away. You can also use this saline spray to thin the mucus and secretions going into the throat which helps ease a baby’s cough. For guidance on how to treat a cough click here.
If your baby or young child has lots of dry crusty bogeys, this can be used to wet and loosen them so you can get them out with a Nasal Aspirator Nose Cleaning Sucker (product below).
Nasal Aspirator Nose Cleaning Sucker
This is another MUST for your cabinet that works perfectly with our how to treat a cold without medicine guide. An electric nasal aspirator effectively removes the excretions from your baby’s nasal cavity without any pain and minimal discomfort.
Any kind of humidifier will really improve the whole family’s sleep. It improves health, skin, mood, sleep, focus and can help you breathe better with clean & fresh air. It is perfect for use in your, your baby and your children’s bedroom. It adds moisture to the air of any room, it can help you to breathe better, cough less and prevent dry sinuses, nosebleeds as well as dry skin.
There are things you can do:
- Ensure the person is getting enough vitamin C. Add vitamin C based foods to their diet (oranges, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi fruit, papaya, bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower).
- Check the room in which the person sleeps – if there is any damp, this could be the cause. Check inside wardrobes and on the underside of drawers. It can also be caused if beds are too close to windows or walls. Pull the bed away and check all of those areas. If you find damp, follow this guide.
- Hoover the bedroom, dust and wipe down the skirting boards at least two hours prior to bedtime. Take out any toys gathering dust including any under the bed (this can be one of the main causes of aggravating a cough).
- Change the bedding (you should change your bedding at least once a week).
- If possible, slightly elevate the bed by placing two books under the legs at the head of the bed (only do this slightly as you do not want the person to be uncomfortable or work their way to the bottom of the bed during the night).
- Run a hot bath at least two hours prior to bedtime so that the person is not going to bed with wet hair.
- Get some tissue and wipe some Vicks Vapour Rub on it. Fold the tissue and place it inside the pillowcase (in the side that meets the mattress so that the head is not in direct contact with it).
- Adjust the heating to ensure the room is not too hot but also that it is not too cold (too much heat and not enough heat can aggravate a cough too!)
- If you wake during the night, put the kettle on and repeat the mixture.
For a natural way to treat a cold without medicine and deal with headaches associated with coughs and colds in adults, you can always try turmeric capsules. Turmeric has been used for centuries to treat infections, headaches, colds and other diseases. Turmeric contains curcumin (a compound known to help reduce inflammation in the body).
Before using any form of treatment/medicines, you should always check with your GP and/or read the label to see if this is suitable for you.
Where did remedy come from?
This How to treat a cold without medicine guide is written with humble and very grateful thanks to Nurse Daphne Henry. Daphne came to England from Jamaica in 1960 at 27 to continue her training to be a nurse. She studied midwifery in Jamaica and continued her training at Bethnal Green Hospital when she arrived in England. Daphne married Withel Henry in 1962 two years into her training. Whilst tirelessly working as a nurse for many hospitals including Hackney Hospital, Whipps Cross Hospital and Chingford Hospital in Essex, they had six children.
Daphne ended her nursing career in 1997 after 37 years of loyal service in the NHS at the age of 64.
Whilst growing up in Jamaica, there was only one general hospital in the area where they lived. When a family member became unwell, her mother Linette used fresh fruits and herbs from their garden to treat ailments.
Her mother Linette grew ginger, garlic, onion, aloe vera plants and every fruit and vegetable imaginable in their garden so that there would always be something she could use to help her family if they became unwell.
Daphne is now 88 years old and is still nursing her friends and family. She has a natural remedy for everything, so we decided to bring them to life and share them with our readers. We hope you use them and they bring treatment and good health to your loved ones.
*All our guides are generated from real-life experience. This article contains links to other websites, the content(s) of which we cannot be held responsible for. Where possible, we have added links to specific products we have purchased ourselves and have direct experience of each product. You can find these products without using the links contained in the article. In order to sustain the website so that we can write these articles, we may use Amazon affiliate links to products listed. If no link is available, we will directly google search the item and link it back to the product.