How to treat a cold without medicine
When you get the first signs of a Cold, there are measures you can put in place to treat it without using medicines from a pharmacist.
Of course there are times that antibiotics and/or pain relief is required and you should always consider these whenever your loved one is unwell. A trip to your GP just to make sure never hurt anyone.
We recommend that you use both the natural methods listed below
It is widely known that certain fruits can loosen mucus and phlegm and keeps the respiratory system healthy. It contains bromelian, a powerful digestive enzyme that aids digesting protein. Pineapple juice breaks down fats and also reduces inflammation. It is literally THE most effective natural medicine for a cold or cough. Click here to find out how you can stock up your natural medicine cabinet.
First, stock up your medicine cabinet with:
- Pineapple juice
- Manuka Honey
- White rum (Wray and Nephew) or dark rum (Captain Morgans)
- Fresh Ginger
Follow our guide:
- Put the kettle on.
- In a small cup or beaker add half a cup of boiling water and a quarter of a cup of pineapple juice.
- Add one teaspoon of Manuka Honey (never give honey to a child under the age of 1), and a sprinkle of sugar. For adults, add the juice of half a squeezed lemon or half an orange.
- Mix well. It should be hot enough to drink comfortably but not too cold otherwise you will not feel the effects.
- Make sure you do this at least three times a day for an adult, twice a day for a child, the last one of the day should be taken just before going to bed.
- If a cough is present, an added method we use is to rub the sole of the feet with either dark or white rum or Vicks Vapour Rub. This method has been used by our family for years and can temporarily ease a persistent coughing adult/child for a good few hours. Ensure you seek medical advice before using this method with a child. We contacted NHS Direct and they raised no concerns when we did this with our 8 year old.
- If your baby has a stuffy nose, you can use a saline spray to clear it. Find the product listed below or click to view on Amazon.
Pure New Zealand Manuka Honey 30+ (click to view on Amazon) will keep your immune system topped up and can be taken everyday. It is known for its quality, purity and is known for his exceptional health benefits. Please note: Honey is not suitable for children under 12 months.
Another Natural Cold Medicine Method:
This tried and trusted Natural Cold Medicine method has been used by our family for many years. If it works for you too, please comment on the bottom of this post, we would love to hear from you:
- In a pan of boiling water, add a few large slices of peeled ginger.
- Let it simmer for half an hour.
- Pour the liquid into a cup and drink it as hot as you can take it.
- You should only drink this once a day and you can also drink the cold/cough remedy (above) alongside it too.
- Drinking hot ginger juice will help sweating toxins out of your body which is perfect for getting that cold and flu virus out of your system.
- Before going to bed, rubbing white or dark rum on the soles and around the toes of your feet can also ease congestion in the nose and will also stop a runny nose. It also helps with easing a cough. If you prefer, you can use Vicks Vapour Rub. Just rub it in the feet and toes and put on a pair of socks.
- For a natural way to deal with headaches associated with Coughs, Colds and Flu in adults, you can always try turmeric capsules. Click here to find out why turmeric is good to use for this purpose. Before taking any form of medicine, you should always check and read the label to see if this is suitable for you.
If you have babies or young children, stock up your cabinet with some invaluable items that will help them and the whole family get a better nights sleep
Saline Nasal Spray Natural Baby and Child Congestion Relief (click to view on Amazon)
This is a MUST for your cabinet.
When our daughter was a baby, this saline spray was used very often to clear her little nose whenever it became stuffy. Using this type of product helped her to get a goods night sleep and us too. The best bit is that this can be used from birth.
It is very simple and easy to use. Before you use it, spray a couple of times into your hand and then place it into position and spray inside in each nostril.
It clears a stuffy nose straight away. You can also use this saline spray to thin the mucus and secretions going into the throat which help ease a baby’s cough. For guidance on how to treat a cough click here.
If your baby or young child has lots of dry crusty bogeys, this can be used to wet and loosen them so you can get them out with a Nasal Aspirator Nose Cleaning Sucker (product below).
Nasal Aspirator Nose Cleaning Sucker (click to view on Amazon)
This is another MUST for your cabinet.
An electric nasal aspirator is effective to suck out the excretion from your baby’s nasal cavity.
Humidifier (click to view on Amazon)
Any kind of humidifier will really improve the whole families sleep. It improves health, skin, mood, sleep, focus and can help you breathe better with clean & fresh air. It is perfect for use in your, your baby and your children’s bedroom.
It adds moisture to the air of any room, it can help you to breathe better, cough less and prevent dry sinuses, nosebleeds as well as dry skin.
Other things you can do:
- Ensure the person is getting enough vitamin C. Add vitamin C based foods to their diet (oranges, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi fruit, papaya, bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower).
- Check the room in which the person sleeps – if there is any damp, this could be the cause. Check inside wardrobes and on the underside of drawers. It can also be caused if beds are too close to windows or walls. Pull the bed away and check all of those areas. If you find damp, follow this guide.
- Hoover the bedroom, dust and wipe down the skirting boards at least two hours prior to bedtime. Take out any toys gathering dust including any under the bed (this can be one of the main causes of aggravating a cough).
- Change the bedding (you should change your bedding at least once a week).
- If possible, slightly elevate the bed by placing two books under the legs at the head of the bed (only do this slightly as you do not want the person to be uncomfortable or work their way to the bottom of the bed during the night).
- Run a hot bath at least two hours prior to bedtime so that the person is not going to bed with wet hair.
- Get some tissue and wipe some Vicks Vapour Rub on it. Fold the tissue and place it inside the pillow case (in the side that meets the mattress so that the head is not in direct contact with it).
- Adjust the heating to ensure the room is not too hot but also that it is not too cold (too much heat and not enough heat can aggravate a cough too!)
- If you wake during the night, put the kettle on and repeat the mixture.
For a natural way to deal with headaches associated with coughs and colds in adults, you can always try turmeric capsules. Turmeric has been used for centuries to treat infections, headaches, colds and other diseases. Turmeric contains curcumin (a compound known to help reduce inflammation in the body).
Before using any form of treatment/medicines, you should always check with your GP and/or read the label to see if this is suitable for you.
Who devised these remedies?
This guide is written with humble and very grateful thanks to Nurse Daphne Henry. Daphne Wauchope came to England from Jamaica in 1960 with a friend when she was 27 to continue her training to be a nurse. She studied midwifery in Jamaica and continued her training at Bethnal Green Hospital when she arrived in England. Daphne Wauchope married Withel Henry in 1962 two years into her training. Daphne and P (as he was affectionately called by his family) had six children whilst she tirelessly worked as a nurse for many hospitals including Hackney Hospital, Whipps Cross Hospital and Chingford Hospital in Essex.
Daphne ended her nursing career in 1997 after 37 years of loyal service at the age of 64.
Whilst growing up in Jamaica, there was only one general hospital in the area where they lived. When a family member became unwell, her mother Linette used fresh fruits and herbs from their garden to treat ailments.
Her mother Linette grew ginger, garlic, onion, aloe vera plants and every fruit and vegetable imaginable in their garden so that there would always be something she could use to help her family if they became unwell.
Daphne is now 85 years old and is still nursing her friends and family. She has a natural remedy for everything, so we decided to bring them to life and share them with our readers. We hope you use them and they bring treatment and good health to your loved ones.
*All our guides are generated from real life experience. This article contains links to other websites, the content(s) of which we cannot be held responsible for. Where possible, we have added links to specific products we have purchased ourselves and have direct experience of each product. You can find these products without using the links contained in the article. In order to sustain the website so that we can write these articles, we may use Amazon affiliate links to products listed. If no link is available, we will directly google search the item and link it back to the product.
Click on the following guides to find out how to treat other conditions: