How to deal with difficult neighbours
When dealing with difficult neighbours it can be extremely stressful just trying to work out how to handle the situation.
- You may have just moved into your dream home but then shortly afterwards find yourself living next door to a nightmare neighbour.
- You may have fallen out with neighbour(s) or they have fallen out with you over something trivial or more serious.
- You may be having boundary issues or Party Wall/Schedule of Condition disagreements with your neighbour(s) with either party behaving unfairly or aggressively towards each other.
- Your neighbour(s) may have become noisier or carrying out prolonged building works with no end in sight.
- Your neighbour may be constantly playing loud music or having rowdy parties every weekend.
- Your neighbours pet may be causing a disturbance by barking throughout the day or during the night.
Many people have suffered from these issues, but how do you deal with it?
Follow our guide:
- Have your mobile phone in your hand just in case you need to either record a conversation with your neighbour using voice notes or make a video of your neighbours behaviour. If you use the video function, do not make it obvious that you are recording them as it could potentially escalate the situation. Just switch the phone to airplane mode so the video won’t be interrupted by someone calling you, then start recording before you get to the neighbours house. Hold the phone by your side when you are talking with them. Don’t worry too much if you are not getting their face in the video, you will still get their voice.
- If using voice notes, switch your phone to airplane mode, then select voice notes setting.
- Speak to your neighbour (friendly and calmly) but only if safe to do so and they are known to be friendly and approachable in the past. Get someone in your house to monitor the situation whilst it is happening from a short distance. Never go and see a neighbour without someone being aware. This will ensure that if any issues arise, someone will be able to help you if you need it or call the Police on your behalf.
- You must not get angry as it will escalate the situation. Remain calm even if the neighbour doesn’t. If the neighbour becomes aggressive, retreat from the situation immediately.
- If you are uncomfortable with directly approaching your neighbour because they may have been difficult in the past, you need to start gathering evidence of their behaviour if it is ongoing.
- If a neighbour is constantly harassing you, you could start video recording their behaviour by installing a Nest Outdoor Camera outside the front and back of your property. You could also install a Nest Door Bell or a Ring Door Bell at your front door as both of these devices immediately records anyone who presses the bell.
- You can then download the video and keep it as a record of the behaviour or give it to the Police to report threatening behaviour.
- If you are being harassed by your neighbour, you should report this to your local Police station. The Police are able to deal with the issue if the noise causes a breach of the peace, if you suffer threatening or violent behaviour and/or anti-social behaviour. Click here for Police guidance on what constitutes harassment.
Find your issue below for further guidance:
- Boundary issue, click here.
- Party Wall/Schedule of Condition issue, click here.
- Prolonged building works, click here.
- Barking dog, click here.
- Anti-Social Behaviour click here.
- Harassment click here.
- For your local citizens advice centre guidance, click here.
- For information and guidance on environmental law, click here
Nest Doorbell (click to view prices)
Nest Hello Video Doorbell lets you know who’s at the door, so you won’t miss a visitor or parcel delivery. It can send an alert to your smart device, and can tell the difference between a person and something else. It gives you the full view with crystal clarity so you can see the person from head to toe, right down to the doorstep so you can see parcels left for you too, and you can speak to your visitor via the Nest app (iOS & Android). With an optional Nest Aware subscription it can tell the difference between people you know and a stranger, and it live-streams 24/7 so you can always check what’s happening at your door.
Ring Doorbell (click to view on Amazon)
- Works with selected Alexa devices to launch real-time video with your voice.
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC.
- You’ll get a notification when movement is detected or when visitors press the Doorbell.
- Works on any home, with or without existing doorbell wires.
- Monitors your home in HD video with infrared night vision.
- Lets you check-in on your property at anytime with Live View, real-time video.
- Includes Theft Protection: if your doorbell gets stolen, we’ll replace it for free.
Nest Outdoor Camera (click to view prices)
With top-notch visual clarity, processing power and connectivity, Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is a premium way to make sure that your home’s surrounding areas are safe. It’s weather-proof, temper-proof, and is able to detect a person up to 15 metres away, so it can help you find out about a break-in before it happens. It enables you to check in on your phone, even when you are out, and is clever enough to distinguish between a person and a thing. Super sight vision monitors and records the action with superb clarity, and it can zoom in and follow the action for you. A powerful speaker allows you to communicate through it using the Nest app, and, with a Nest Aware subscription (sold separately), it can send you familiar face alerts.
*All our guides are generated from real life experience. This article contains links to other websites, the content(s) of which we cannot be held responsible for. Where possible, we have added affiliate links to specific products or services we have purchased or used ourselves. You can find these products and services without using the links contained in the article. In order to sustain the website so that we can write these articles, we may use affiliate links. If no affiliate link is available, we will directly search the item and link it back to the product or service.