How to treat a cough without cough medicine and stop coughing at night.
When you first notice your child or a loved ones cough, there are measures you can put in place to treat it without using cough medicines from a pharmacist.
Of course there are times that antibiotics and/or pain relief is needed and you should always consider these whenever your loved one is unwell. A trip to the Doctors just to make sure never hurt anyone.
Listening to a child or loved ones cough all night does no-one in the house any good.
We recommend that you use both the natural cough and Cold/Flu Methods simultaneously when you have a cold or flu.
It is widely known that certain fruits can loosen mucus and phlegm. Pineapple juice breaks down phlegm and loosens it. It keeps the respiratory system healthy and it contains bromelian, a powerful digestive enzyme that aids digesting protein. Pineapple juice breaks down fats and also reduces inflammation. It is literally THE most effective natural medicine for a cough.
First, stock up your medicine cabinet with:
- Pineapple juice
- Manuka Honey
- White rum (Wray and Nephew) or dark rum (Captain Morgans)
- Fresh Ginger
Natural Cough Medicine Method:
This tried and trusted Natural Cough Medicine method has been used by our family for many years. If it works for you too, please comment on the bottom of this post, we would love to hear from you:
- Put the kettle on.
- In a small cup or beaker add half a cup of boiling water and a quarter of a cup of pineapple juice.
- Add one teaspoon of manuka honey (never give honey to a child under the age of 1), and a sprinkle of sugar. For adults, add the juice of half a squeezed lemon or half an orange.
- Mix well. It should be hot enough to drink comfortably but not too cold otherwise you will not feel the effects.
- Make sure you do this at least three times a day for an adult, twice a day for a child, the last one of the day should be taken just before going to bed.
- An added method we use is to rub the sole of the feet with either dark or white rum. This method has been used by our family for years and can temporarily ease a persistent coughing adult/child for a good few hours. Ensure you seek medical advice before using this method with a child. We contacted NHS Direct today and they raised no concerns when we did this with our 8 year old. Since speaking with them at 1.13pm today, she has not coughed since.
Natural Cold and Flu Medicine Method:
This tried and trusted Natural Cold and Flu Medicine method has been used by our family for many years. If it works for you too, please comment on the bottom of this post, we would love to hear from you:
- In a pan of boiling water, add a few large slices of ginger.
- Let it simmer for half an hour.
- Pour the liquid into a cup and drink it as hot as you can take it.
- You should only drink this once a day and you can also drink the cough remedy alongside it too.
- Drinking hot ginger juice will help sweating toxins out of your body which is perfect for getting that cold and flu virus out of your system.
- Before going to bed, rubbing rum on the soles of your feet can also ease congestion in the nose and will also stop a runny nose. If you prefer, you can use Vicks Vapour Rub.
- For a natural way to deal with headaches associated with Colds/Flu in adults, you can always try turmeric. Before taking any form of medicine, you should always check and read the label to see if this is suitable for you.
If you have young children, stock up your medicine cabinet with invaluable items that will help the whole family get a better nights sleep:
Other things you can do:
- Ensure the person is getting enough vitamin C. Add vitamin C based foods to their diet (oranges, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi fruit, papaya, bell peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower).
- Check the room in which the person sleeps – if there is any damp, this could be the cause. Check inside wardrobes and on the underside of drawers. It can also be caused if beds are too close to windows or walls. Pull the bed away and check all of those areas. If you find damp, follow this guide.
- Hoover the bedroom, dust and wipe down the skirting boards at least two hours prior to bedtime. Take out any toys gathering dust including any under the bed (this can be one of the main causes of aggravating a cough).
- Change the bedding (you should change your bedding at least once a week).
- If possible, slightly elevate the bed by placing two books under the legs at the head of the bed (only do this slightly as you do not want the person to be uncomfortable or work their way to the bottom of the bed during the night).
- Run a hot bath at least two hours prior to bedtime so that the person is not going to bed with wet hair.
- Get some tissue and wipe some Vicks vapour rub on it. Fold the tissue and place it inside the pillow case (in the side that meets the mattress so that the head is not in direct contact with it).
- Adjust the heating to ensure the room is not too hot but also that it is not too cold (too much heat and not enough heat can aggravate a cough too!)
- If you wake during the night, put the kettle on and repeat the mixture.
For a natural way to deal with headaches associated with coughs and colds in adults, you can always try turmeric. Before taking any form of medicine, you should always check and read the label to see if this is suitable for you.