How to apply for Planning Permission
When extending when your home or building a new home, you may need to apply for planning permission. If you are building a Summer House or an outbuilding, you should make sure whether you need to apply for planning permission and/or building control. If you are not sure whether you will need it, watch the Local Authority Building Control LABC’s guidance below:
How to apply
What you will need:
- Drawings of your build from your agent/architect to submit online.
- Structural steel calculations (if you are installing a loft conversion/any form of extension). Speak to your agent/architect as they may be able to recommend someone to you.
- If you have an agent, builder or architect, they may be able to process this application for you.
If you are doing this yourself:
- Contact your local authority here.
- Using the search bar within your local authorities website, type the words “planning applications“.
- Click on the planning applications tab. You should now have a variety of options to choose from. You will find guidance on whether or not you need planning permission and who to contact for pre-application advice. You will also find links to a householder’s guide to planning permission as well as permitted development rights available in English and Welsh.
- You can apply for planning permission online or download a standard form from your local authority website.
- Start your planning application here.
- Once you have completed your planning application and it has been accepted, you MUST check whether you need a party wall agreement with your neighbour. Click here for guidance. If you did not enter into a party wall agreement with your neighbour and you have already started the works, you should get in touch with either your agent or find a surveyor for guidance straight away.
- Now you can apply for Building Control.
Did not get Planning Permission or Building Control for your build?
If you did not get planning permission for your build and/or did not have building control site visits throughout your build, watch the video below for guidance on what you can do: