How to get rid of gerbil smells
In 2015, we bought two gerbils called Herbie and Squeak for our young daughter. For five very happy years, they were a part of our family and were very much loved. For the last two years of their lives, their cage would become incredibly pongy which is why we devised this guide on how to keep gerbils from smelling! We have had hamsters and gerbils for many years as pets, so we are quite confident that our guide works through experience and trial and error. When working out how to get rid of gerbil smells together with the easiest way to clean a gerbil cage, you need to invest in a few essentials to make it a breeze. Our guide contains everything you will need and the easiest way to do it with minimal stress to yourself and your gerbil.
We used many products to try to combat the smell and found a method and products that actually work well together. As most animal lovers and owners know, it is the house guest that can smell your pets because you may have become used to the smell.
For the easiest way to clean a gerbil cage and how to get rid of gerbil smells, follow our guide:
We have used many products to try to combat the smell and only recently, we have found a method and products that actually work well together. As most animal lovers and owners know, it is the house guest that can smell your pets because you may have become used to the smell.
Follow our guide:
- Place your gerbil(s) somewhere safe. You can place yours in a plastic ball(s) and pop them in the garden or somewhere safe inside your home.
- Wearing marigolds combine a little fairy liquid in hot water and wash the base of the cage thoroughly after emptying the cage. Wipe down the sides of the top wired areas of the cage and wash the wheel, feeding bowl and water dispenser. Leave to dry.
- Spray the cage with a safe animal disinfectant for small animals. We use Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant. Leave for 15 minutes then wipe clean and allow to dry.
- Once dry, sprinkle granules onto the areas of the cage where your gerbils like to defecate. We use Cage Fresh Granules.
- Next, sprinkle gerbil food at the opposite end of the cage to where you placed the granules. We use Tiny Friends Farm Gerbil Tasty Mix.
- Place some bedding at the bottom of the tray over both the granules and the gerbil food, covering this part of the cage a quarter of the way up. We use Carefresh Ultra bedding, it stays fresher for longer.
- Fill the food tray and fill the water dispenser with clean fresh water.
- Place a sand bath inside the cage, keep it clean and clear out any poop or wet sand. Gerbils love a sand bath and this will help to keep them clean in between cage cleans.
- To give your gerbil something to chew on, you can place chewable products in the cage too which will prevent them from chewing the cage itself.
- Pop the gerbils back in the cage.
The cage should now smell fantastic and will stay fresher for much longer.
Products you will need here:
Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant (click here to view)
Johnsons Clean N Safe is a disinfectant, cleaner and deodorant all in one! It kills bacteria and viruses in areas where pets live, sleep and feed – hutches, cages, pet bedding, drinkers etc. Suitable for small animals.
Cage Fresh Granules (click here to view)
Beaphar cage fresh granules freshen cages and hutches quickly and simply. Contains friendly microbes that are harmless to pets and people, but which neutralise and break down the odours of small animal urine. One light sprinkling of cage fresh granules will keep your hutch fresher, which is more pleasant for you and your pet. An added benefit is that the reduced smell makes your pet less likely to be bothered by flies or flystrike.
Tiny Friends Gerbil Mix (click here to view)
A nutritionally balanced, tasty mix for gerbils, promotes natural foraging, best ever taste – no added sugar, added linseed for healthy skin & shiny coat, suitable for all breeds. Delicious ingredients include pumpkin seeds, carrot, maize, oats, wheat and peas, as well as added vitamins provide a tasty everyday diet that helps promote your pet’s natural wellbeing and vitality. Tasty linseed has been added to help keep your pet’s skin and coat in the very best condition.
Carefresh Ultra Bedding (click here to view)
For maximum odour control and absorbency, Carefresh Ultra bedding is perfect for small pets. Carefresh is an economical small pet bedding that only requires using half the amount of conventional bedding material. Featuring a unique odour control system that is virtually dust-free to protect your small pets respiratory system. it lasts twice as long as traditional bedding and it absorbs over three times its weight in liquid. Heat sanitised to kill bacteria, mould and fungus, it can be used for all small pets, reptiles and other exotic animals.
This fabulous gerbil sand bath has an entrance with a threshold to prevent bathing sand being taken out. Creating a clean and comfortable environment for your pet to improve living conditions, this is a sure-fire way of how to get rid of gerbil smells in between cage cleans. It comes with a handy shovel to help to keep it clean. Made of high-quality plastic, with a smooth surface, surprisingly sturdy, easy to clean and resistant to odours. Compact, durable and lightweight and contains no toxic or otherwise harmful substances that could endanger your pet’s health. Click here to buy sand.