How to get rid of hamster smells is simple.
We had a lovely little hamster called Henry for many years but his cage towards the end of a fortnightly clean became a bit pongy!
We used many products to try to combat the smell and found a method and products that actually work well together. As most animal lovers and owners know, it is the house guest that can smell your pets because you may have become used to the smell.
Follow our guide:
- Place your hamster(s) somewhere safe. You can place yours in a plastic ball(s) and pop them in the garden or somewhere safe inside your home.
- Wearing marigolds combine a little fairy liquid in hot water and wash the base of the cage thoroughly after emptying the cage. Wipe down the sides of the top wired areas of the cage and wash the wheel, feeding bowl and water dispenser. Leave to dry.
- Spray the cage with a safe animal disinfectant for small animals. We use Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant. Leave for 15 minutes then wipe clean and allow to dry.
- Once dry, sprinkle granules onto the areas of the cage where your hamster(s) like to defecate. We used Cage Fresh Granules.
- Next, sprinkle a little hamster food at the opposite end of the cage to where you placed the granules. If they hamster(s) find it, it will be a nice little surprise! We used Tiny Friends Farm Hamster Mix.
- Place some bedding at the bottom of the tray over both the granules and the hamster food, covering this part of the cage a quarter of the way up. We use Carefresh Ultra bedding, it stays fresher for longer.
- Fill the food tray and fill water dispenser with clean fresh water.
- To give your hamster(s) something to chew on, you can place chewable products in the cage too which will prevent them from chewing the cage itself.
- Pop the hamster(s) back in the cage.
The cage should now smell fantastic and will stay fresher for much longer.
You can buy these products here:
Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant (click here to view)
Johnsons Clean N Safe is a disinfectant, cleaner and deodorant all in one! It kills bacteria and viruses in areas where pets live, sleep and feed – hutches, cages, pet bedding, drinkers etc. Suitable for small animals.
Cage Fresh Granules (click here to view)
Beaphar cage fresh granules freshen cages and hutches quickly and simply. Contains friendly microbes that are harmless to pets and people, but which neutralise and break down the odours of small animal urine. One light sprinkling of cage fresh granules will keep your hutch fresher, which is more pleasant for you and your pet. An added benefit is that the reduced smell makes your pet less likely to be bothered by flies or flystrike.
Tiny Friends Hamster Mix (click here to view)
Officially the first and only food to be approved by the National Hamster Council, this well-balanced mix includes soya, whole peanuts and sunflower seeds for extra succulent appeal to your hamster.
Carefresh Ultra Bedding (click here to view)
For maximum odor control and absorbency, Carefresh Ultra bedding is perfect for small pets. Carefresh is an economical small pet bedding that only requires using half the amount of a conventional bedding material. Featuring a unique odour control system that is virtually dust free to protect your small pets respiratory system. it lasts twice as long as traditional bedding and it absorbs over three times its weight in liquid. Heat sanitised to kill bacteria, mould and fungus, it can be used for all small pets, reptiles and other exotic animals.