How to get rid of carpet beetles
Carpet beetles will eat anything that is made of fabric in your home. All four types of carpet beetles love to eat fabric, hair, dry skin, dead animals, woolly jumpers, fur and plants. Black carpet beetles are the most dangerous and most commonly found. So, how to get rid of carpet beetles?
The four types are:
Carpet beetles like to live under upholstered furniture, under carpets and floorboards and around doors. They don’t bite but they give you a red itchy rash because of their prickly larval hairs.
Most carpet beetles live and breed outside the home. They can end up inside your home by flying through open windows and doors, chimneys, soffit vents and/or any little crack or crevice where they can find a way in. They can get in by being inadvertently carried in by you!
Follow our guide:
- Empty all drawers/wardrobes of clothes and remove all bedding from the bedrooms. Take down the curtains/nets.
- Wash everything (if possible) at 60 degrees even if you do not think they may have come into any contact with the floor.
- Dry everything (if possible) in a tumble dryer for at least 30 minutes.
- Open the window and sprinkle carpet beetle killer on the carpet and headboards (if fabric) and any mattresses. You should consider wearing gloves and a protective face mask whilst doing this.
- Leave the room for one hour, then vacuum thoroughly. Repeat the process a few hours later. After each vacuum, change the bag and dispose of each bag in a sealed bag. Place it directly in a bin outside your home ready to be collected by the bin men.
- If you see any cocoons’ pick them up and place them in the bin outside your home. Cocoons will not be affected by the powder so look carefully around the room to see if any are still there.
- Steam clean the carpet and/or any rugs, mattresses and headboards (if fabric). This will ensure that any carpet beetles and larva left after vacuuming will be eradicated).
- Once the mattress is dry, cover it with a bug proof mattress protector.
- Using cleaning fluid and hot water, wipe all the furniture getting into all the crevices.
- Using cleaner fluid and hot water, wipe all drawers, cupboards and wardrobes with cleaning fluid and hot water.
- Use this opportunity to fill in all those cracks and crevices in your home to stop little creatures from getting inside by using resin bond and an applicator gun (for instructions click here).
Products you will need:
Carpet Beetle Killer (click to view on Amazon)
Sprinkle this product where necessary. It doesn’t have a strong smell, it does exactly what it says on the packaging (please read instructions before use) and it works. If you have a fish tank in the room, remove it before you sprinkle it. Always read the label and product information before use.
This protective face mask protects against non-toxic and irritating dust up to 4 times the threshold limit value defined for the substance (TLV), with nose bridge. The valve facilitates inhalation and exhalation. The dolomite testing allows use for more than six hours. Non-reusable. Area of application: bagging cement, gypsum, grain, drilling, threshing, against allergy caused by flour dust, grinding, sawing, shredding, swine flu, bird flu, etc.
These protective gloves have long sleeves and are well ventilated. When you wear the protective suit with these gloves, pull the gloves over the arms of the suit to prevent any contact with the product you are using.
Floor/Mattress Steam Cleaner
This handheld steam cleaner with adjustable steam release has the British Allergy Foundation seal of approval. Comes with 3.5 bar pressure and 90g/min steam output. Working autonomy 0, 75 L and operating reach 7, 5 m. It is supplied with a shoulder strap and a full range of accessories.
This luxury machine washable anti-bacterial bed bug cover is easy to install. The mattress cover is sized to fit standard mattresses and zips up nice and tight to make your mattress bed bug proof. This mattress cover reduces allergy symptoms, will help you sleep better when you are not exposed to bed bugs, allergens, dust mites, and germs. No more waking up sneezing with a runny nose and itchy red eyes from allergens in your mattress. It will not change the feel of your mattress or bedding and it made so that there are no noisy or crinkly sounds whilst you sleep.
This is perfect to use in those hard to reach places where little insects and even bigger ones can get into your home. Once it is applied, nothing will be able to get through any cracks or holes in your property.
Resin Bond Applicator
Professional sealant/resin gun with a hexagonal rod and re-enforced ring. Works perfectly with resin bond tube (above). For instructions on use click here.
We hope you found our how to get rid of carpet beetles guide helpful.