How to get rid of guinea pig smells
Two of our close friends have guinea pigs and they found, towards the end of a cage clean, the cage could become a bit pongy! Both have used many products to try to combat the smell and both families followed our other guides on how to deal with this. Both families found that the products we used on our hamsters and gerbils actually worked well together for their guinea pigs! So, how to get rid of guinea pig smells?
As most animal lovers and owners know, it is the house guest that can smell your pets because you may have become used to the smell. Our how to get rid of guinea pig smells is here to help.
Follow our guide:
- Place an ozone-free air purifier in the room near your pet’s cage. These small compact and quiet air purifiers have a 3 stage infiltration system to reduce smells, dust, pollen, smoke and pet dander (flecks of skin shed by cats, dogs, rodents, birds and other animals with fur or feathers).
- Place your guinea pig(s) somewhere safe.
- Wearing marigolds combine a little fairy liquid in hot water and wash the base of the cage thoroughly after emptying the cage. Wipe down the sides of the top wired areas of the cage and wash the toys, feeding bowl and water dispenser. Leave to dry.
- Spray the cage with a safe animal disinfectant for small animals (Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant.) Leave for 15 minutes then wipe clean and allow to dry.
- Sprinkle Cage Fresh Granules onto the bottom of the cage.
- Lay newspaper over the top of the granules.
- Lay Carefresh Ultra bedding, over the newspaper (it stays fresher for longer).
- Fill the food tray and fill the water dispenser with clean fresh water.
- Pop the guinea pig(s) back in the cage.
The cage should now smell fantastic and will stay fresher for much longer.
Products you will need:
Ozone Free Air Purifier
Levoit’s air purifiers have the most reliable 3-Stage Filtration System with Fine Preliminary, True HEPA and Activated Carbon filters that reduce 99.97% of odours, dust, pollen, smoke, mold spores and pet dander. 100% Ozone Free, this air purifier avoids using UV/Ion light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution. With ultra-silent & touch control panel operation, it filters the air with the lowest noise level as quiet as 25dB for a restful and soothing indoor environment, helping you sleep deeply. All settings can be made via the elegant touch panel control panel. With a built-in replacement, indicator to reminds you when it’s time for a fresh filter, it should be replaced every 6-8 months depending on use and air quality. Levoit offers more affordable replacement filters than those of many other brands, guaranteeing you savings far into the future. Quality Assurance: The British standard plug and 25W motor are guaranteed to get the job done. Ideal for pet lovers, people who suffer from allergies, nasal stuffiness, cough, sneezing, asthma, etc. Suitable for home and office.
Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant
Johnsons Clean N Safe is a disinfectant, cleaner and deodorant all in one! It kills bacteria and viruses in areas where pets live, sleep and feed – hutches, cages, pet bedding, drinkers etc. Suitable for small animals.
Cage Fresh Granules
Beaphar cage fresh granules freshen cages and hutches quickly and simply. Contains friendly microbes that are harmless to pets and people, but which neutralise and break down the odours of small animal urine. One light sprinkling of cage fresh granules will keep your hutch fresher, which is more pleasant for you and your pet. An added benefit is that the reduced smell makes your pet less likely to be bothered by flies or flystrike.
Carefresh Ultra Bedding
For maximum odour control and absorbency, Carefresh Ultra bedding is perfect for small pets. Carefresh is an economical small pet bedding that only requires using half the amount of conventional bedding material. Featuring a unique odour control system that is virtually dust-free to protect your small pets respiratory system. it lasts twice as long as traditional bedding and it absorbs over three times its weight in liquid. Heat sanitised to kill bacteria, mould and fungus, it can be used for all small pets, reptiles and other exotic animals.
We hope you found our how to get rid of guinea pig smells guide helpful.
Further Guides on How to Get Rid of: