How to get rid of guinea pig smells
Two of our close friends have guinea pigs and they found, towards the end of a cage clean, the cage could become a bit pongy!
They have both used many products to try to combat the smell and both families followed our other guides on how to deal with this. Both families found that the products we used on our hamsters and gerbils actually worked well together for their guinea pigs! As most animal lovers and owners know, it is the house guest that can smell your pets because you may have become used to the smell.
Follow our guide:
- Place your guinea pig(s) somewhere safe.
- Wearing marigolds combine a little fairy liquid in hot water and wash the base of the cage thoroughly after emptying the cage. Wipe down the sides of the top wired areas of the cage and wash the toys, feeding bowl and water dispenser. Leave to dry.
- Spray the cage with a safe animal disinfectant for small animals (Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant.) Leave for 15 minutes then wipe clean and allow to dry.
- Sprinkle Cage Fresh Granules onto the bottom of the cage.
- Lay newspaper over the top of the granules.
- Lay Carefresh Ultra bedding, over the newspaper (it stays fresher for longer).
- Fill the food tray and fill water dispenser with clean fresh water.
- Pop the guinea pig(s) back in the cage.
The cage should now smell fantastic and will stay fresher for much longer.
Products you will need:
Johnsons Clean N Safe Disinfectant (click here to view)
Johnsons Clean N Safe is a disinfectant, cleaner and deodorant all in one! It kills bacteria and viruses in areas where pets live, sleep and feed – hutches, cages, pet bedding, drinkers etc. Suitable for small animals.
Cage Fresh Granules (click here to view)
Beaphar cage fresh granules freshen cages and hutches quickly and simply. Contains friendly microbes that are harmless to pets and people, but which neutralise and break down the odours of small animal urine. One light sprinkling of cage fresh granules will keep your hutch fresher, which is more pleasant for you and your pet. An added benefit is that the reduced smell makes your pet less likely to be bothered by flies or flystrike.
Carefresh Ultra Bedding (click here to view)
For maximum odor control and absorbency, Carefresh Ultra bedding is perfect for small pets. Carefresh is an economical small pet bedding that only requires using half the amount of a conventional bedding material. Featuring a unique odour control system that is virtually dust free to protect your small pets respiratory system. it lasts twice as long as traditional bedding and it absorbs over three times its weight in liquid. Heat sanitised to kill bacteria, mould and fungus, it can be used for all small pets, reptiles and other exotic animals.