How to get rid of fleas
Fleas can develop resistance to insecticides so try to keep on top of vacuuming your home every other day when you suspect a flea infestation. To eradicate fleas permanently from your home you need to tackle and treat your animals and your home on the same day. So, how to get rid of fleas?
Which process you decide to do first is entirely up to you, but we would treat the animal first, get them out of the house for a few hours then tackle the house straight after.
In any event, where possible, it would be much more comfortable for your pet to be taken out of the house when all the upheaval is taking place.
Follow our guide:
- Use a flea treatment on all your pets: Dog, Cat or Rabbit, Guinea Pig, Rats and Ferrets.
- Remove pets from your home for a few hours (if possible) once they have been treated.
- Empty all drawers/wardrobes of clothes and remove all bedding from the bedrooms. Take down the curtains/nets.
- Wash everything (if possible) at 60 degrees.
- Dry everything (if possible) in a tumble dryer for at least 30 minutes.
- Open the window and sprinkle baking soda on your carpets and furniture. You should consider wearing gloves and a protective face mask whilst doing this.
- Leave the room for an hour, then vacuum thoroughly. Repeat the process a few hours later. After each vacuum, change the bag and dispose of each bag in a sealed bag. Place it directly in a bin outside your home ready to be collected by the bin men.
- Steam clean the carpet and/or any rugs, mattresses and head boards (if fabric).
- Once the mattress is dry, cover it with a bug proof mattress protector.
- Using cleaning fluid and hot water, wipe all the furniture getting into all the crevices.
- Using cleaner fluid and hot water, wipe all drawers, cupboards and wardrobes with cleaning fluid and hot water.
- You can use this opportunity to fill in all those cracks and crevices in your home to stop little creatures from getting inside by using resin bond and an applicator gun (for instructions click here).
Products you will need:
This Protective face mask protects against non-toxic and irritating dust up to 4 times the threshold limit value defined for the substance (TLV), with a nose bridge. The valve facilitates inhalation and exhalation. The dolomite testing allows use for more than six hours. Non-reusable. Area of application: bagging cement, gypsum, grain, drilling, threshing, against allergy caused by flour dust, grinding, sawing, shredding, swine flu, bird flu, etc.
These protective gloves have long sleeves and are well ventilated. When you wear the protective suit with these gloves, pull the gloves over the arms of the suit to prevent any contact with the product you are using.
This baking soda from Woldo Health has a wide variety of uses in cooking, cleaning, medical, pest control etc and it is free from – aluminium, paraben and GMO.
This handheld steam cleaner with adjustable steam release has the British Allergy Foundation seal of approval. Comes with 3.5 bar pressure and 90g/min steam output. Working autonomy 0, 75 L and operating reach 7, 5 m. It is supplied with a shoulder strap and a full range of accessories. This is a must-have product when dealing with the issue of how to get rid of fleas in your home.
This luxury machine washable anti-bacterial bed bug cover is easy to install. The mattress cover is sized to fit standard mattresses and zips up nice and tight to make your mattress bed bug proof. This mattress cover reduces allergy symptoms, will help you sleep better when you are not exposed to bed bugs, allergens, dust mites, and germs. No more waking up sneezing with a runny nose and itchy red eyes from allergens in your mattress. It will not change the feel of your mattress or bedding and it made so that there are no noisy or crinkly sounds whilst you sleep.
Dog Flea Treatment
Spot On is the original flea and ticks spot-on formula first used by vets, now available without a prescription. This product kills fleas on your pet within 24 hours, it helps to reduce the risk of tick-borne diseases and it kills lice. Once applied, the treatment will protect dogs from fleas, ticks and lice – use monthly all year round.
Cat Flea Treatment (click to view on Amazon)
Spot On is the original flea and ticks spot-on formula first used by vets, now available without a prescription. This product kills fleas on your pet within 24 hours, it helps to reduce the risk of tick-borne diseases and it kills lice. Once applied, the treatment will protect cats from fleas, ticks and lice – use monthly all year round.
Rabbit, Guinea Pig, Rat, Ferret Flea Treatment (click here to view on Amazon)
Easy to use treatment for rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and ferrets. Contains 4 ready-to-use pipettes, easy to apply, convenient and effective. One pipette lasts for up to 4 weeks. An approved veterinary preparation containing ivermectin. Simply squeeze the contents of the pipette onto the back of your pet to control external parasites such as mites, lice, fleas and ticks, plus internal parasites such as roundworms. This size of treatment is suitable for use on animals over 300g, such as rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and ferrets. Each box contains 4 pipettes.
This is perfect to use in those hard to reach places where little insects and even bigger ones can get into your home. Once it is applied, nothing will be able to get through any cracks or holes in your property.
Resin Bond Applicator (click to view on Amazon)
Professional sealant/resin gun with a hexagonal rod and re-enforced ring. Works perfectly with resin bond tube (above). For instructions on use click here.
We hope you found our how to get rid of fleas guide helpful.