How to treat an ear infection
Whenever you or your child is in pain, you should always consult with your GP to access what could be causing the issue first before you try any treatments yourself. If you want to stop an ear ache fast, read on.
Symptoms of an ear infection in adults
- Difficulty hearing (ear feels blocked or a feeling of fullness in the ear)
- Pain inside the ear
- Irritation and/or irritation around or inside the ear
- Patchy, scaly skin around or inside the ear
- Feeling sick
- High temperature (38 degrees centigrade or above)
Symptoms of an ear infection in babies/young children
- Unable to react to loud noises
- Losing their balance
- Not eating properly
- Rubbing or pulling their ear
With the right treatment, an ear infection can heal within 3 days to a week.
There are some treatments you can use at home to alleviate the symptoms
When our daughter was two years old with an ear infection, we didn’t know how to treat an ear infection. We used the following method on the advice of a family member who was a nurse for 37 years. We found this method successful and her condition lasted only a day or two. Of course not every person reacts to treatment in the same way, but if your GP is okay with it, then give it a go.
Using Olive Oil and a glass or plastic dropper pipette:
- Pour some hot water in a bowl (a third of the bowl with do).
- Place a teaspoon of Boots Olive Oil in a small beaker.
- Place the beaker in the bowl (making sure the water does not go into the beaker).
- After 2 minutes, take the beaker out of the bowl.
- Using a glass or plastic dropper pipette, draw some olive oil into the dropper.
- Tilt the head and gently squeeze 2 to 3 drops into the ear without touching the ear with the end of the dropper.
- Leave the head in this position for a few minutes.
- You should do this only twice a day until the symptoms cease. If irritation occurs, cease using this method. Never put anything like a cotton bud or your finger in your ear.
You could try these other treatments
- For a natural way to deal with pain relief for an ear infection, you can always try turmeric capsules. Turmeric has been used for centuries to treat infections, headaches, colds and other diseases. Turmeric contains curcumin (a compound known to help reduce inflammation in the body).
- Warm or cold compress.
- Over the counter pain relievers.