How to get rid of mice
There is nothing worse than noticing rat or mice droppings in your home, particularly in the kitchen. Rats and mice have collapsible skeletons that allow them to fit through small spaces so making your house harder to penetrate will cure the problem for good.
Once they find a way inside your home they look for somewhere warm. You may notice droppings in the following areas:
- Behind the fridge.
- Inside the boiler.
- Under the tumble dryer.
- Food cupboards.
The only way to be rid of them properly is to block their access from the OUTSIDE first.
If you block access and starve them, they will die out. It’s that simple. You can seek the advice or engage the services of a professional exterminator but why waste money when the guide will work.
Follow our guide:
- Cover the air bricks around your property without blocking much needed air to enter under the floor (see picture below).
- Buy a sheet of aluminium radiator cover.
- Measure the size of the air brick you want to cover.
- Carefully cut the aluminium radiator to the measurements you have taken using tin snips (cutters).
- Using clear mastic (sealant) and an applicator gun (for instructions click here), apply the sealant around the edges of the shape you have cut.
- Place the shape you have cut over the air brick and hold it in place for one minute.
- Now repeat the same process and cover all the air bricks around your property. If you are not confident to do this yourself, click here to find a contractor to help you.
- Seal all the cracks and holes behind sinks and around pipes in the kitchen and throughout the property using resin bond and an applicator gun (for instructions click here). You can use expanding foam but rodents tend to pick through it.
- Now you need to starve them:
- Clean dirty dishes after your meals, never leave dirty dishes out all night.
- Wipe surfaces after spills, cooking and eating.
- Keep food sealed and stored in cupboards.
- Keep your house tidy, pests love clutter.
- Keep floors swept and clear of leftover crumbs and food.
- Keep floors clear of pet food, never leave pet food in bowls overnight.
- Purchase a brabantia bin with a closed lid and empty it often (we have had ours since 2006 and it is still in perfect working order).
You can purchase mouse traps but if you have blocked their access and starved them, you will not need to use these.
Once starved you may never find the expired rodent(s) in your property afterwards but if you do, dispose of them carefully. Never touch them with your bare hands, use gloves and dispose of them by burying them or place them in a sealed bag and place in the bin.
Air brick covered with a cut to size aluminium radiator cover and clear mastic (below). As you can see the holes are now much smaller in the air brick which directly prevents mice from being able to gain access to your home. This method was used in our house and many years later it still looks the same (no rust and no mice!)
Products you will need:
Tin snips (cutters) (click to view on Amazon)
These straight-cut high leverage compound cutting action snips are made from forged alloy steel and can cut up to 18 gauge steel. They have a chrome molybdenum construction with a serrated cutting edge to prevent slippage when cutting. These tin ships have a one-handed automatic latch release with a squeeze of the handles and bi-material handles for comfort and grip.
Clear Mastic (sealant) (click to view on Amazon)
This premium builder silicone sealant fits in most common mastic or sealant guns. it is a cost-effective low modulus, oxime cure RTV silicone sealant that adheres to a wide range of both porous and non-porous surfaces without the need for priming. The sealant conforms to BS5889. This sealant is formulated as a high viscosity grade to give excellent tooling properties. It cures very quickly to provide a permanently flexible, high strength waterproof seal. This sealant remains permanently flexible, forming a tight rubber-like seal, and have a faster curing time than conventional low mod sealants with extremely low dirt pick up. They are also flexible and waterproof, giving a good, sound seal for a professional finish.
Mastic (Sealant)/Resin Bond Applicator (click to view on Amazon)
This applicator can also be used with the resin bond product below. Professional sealant gun with a hexagonal rod and re-enforced ring. Works perfectly with resin bond tube (above). For instructions on use click here.
Resin Bond (click to view on Amazon)
This is perfect to use in those hard to reach places where little insects and even bigger ones can get into your home. Once it is applied, nothing will be able to get through any cracks or holes in your property.
Brabantia Bin (click to view on Amazon)
These bins are the best on the market at the moment. Using this type of bin will stop mice from being able to eat in your kitchen. We have had our touch to open bin for 12 years now and have had no issues. Brabantia is renown for bringing quality design to homeware. Offering practical solutions for waste management that combine design and quality. If you have any problems with a Brabantia bin, the customer service team are always open to repairing it, unlike other companies.