What is artificial grass?
Artificial grass is grass or turf made of synthetic fibres mainly polyethene (PE), polypropylene (PP) and Nylon.
Which type of artificial grass is best to use for your garden
30mm of artificial grass is the best for home use. Click here to view on Amazon.
How is artificial grass installed?
- The area is dug up and levelled.
- An underlayer is installed.
- A drainage system made of rubble or gravel is installed.
- A mixture of lava and/or rubber of at least 10cm deep is installed.
- The top layer of grass fibres is installed.
What are the different types of artificial grass?
Fully synthetic is used on sports fields or pitches. It is made up of short fibres tightly packed together.
Sand-filled is used on hockey, football, golf and tennis grounds. It comes in two options:
- Grass fibres packed with sand dressing gives a greener and more lush appearance.
- Grass fibres filled with sand evenly distributed (not packed so tightly) – this gives it a higher degree of stability.
Sand-rubber is used on American football, rugby and football fields. It has longer fibres (to hold the filler firmly), it has more shock absorption, and technically it is better for sports activities.
Does artificial grass have puddles after installation?
No, if it is installed correctly. Holes are punched into the grass cover to ensure that water can drain easily so you shouldn’t get any puddles.
Do artificial grass fibres flatten after long term use?
No. It has a memory so it will retain its original shape.
Does artificial grass discolour over time in the sun?
No. It is equipped with a protection system that protects from fading.
How long does artificial grass last
Approximately 10 years, then you may need to get the top layer replaced.
Can animals damage artificial grass?
No. Keep it hoovered and hosed when it gets dirty and all should be fine.
What are the different height sizes of artificial grass?
- Short piles are between 10mm and 25mm.
- Longer piles are between 40mm and 65mm.
How to prevent odours on artificial grass
You can use a very mild detergent mixed with water and hose it down regularly.
Thinking of having artificial grass installed?
If you are thinking of having your lawn replaced with this, you can ask your contractor for a free sample first before you commit to buy.
Don’t forget to ask your contractor for the following:
- The total cost including a break down of everything.
- Is there a delivery charge?
- How long will it take?
- Can I see a portfolio of recently completed jobs?
- Can I see some reviews of your service?
- Does it come with a guarantee or warranty?
- If you don’t have side access, how will they protect your home as they are bringing it through?
Find more helpful guides here