What is tree subsidence

Image of a tree
Canstock image

What is tree subsidence

When a tree is planted too close to your property it can potentially cause subsidence to your home depending on the type of tree.

Known tress that can cause subsidence if planted too close to your property are:

  • Willow
  • Poplar
  • Oak
  • Ash

Some ornamental trees can be planted between 15-20 feet from your property but always seek advice from a tree surgeon or qualified arborist before planting.

If you believe the subsidence is caused by a tree planted too closely to your property, speak to a tree surgeon, qualified arborist or a structural engineer.

If the tree is planted in your own garden:

  1. Keep it trimmed.
  2. NEVER remove the tree yourself.  The tree may be protected and the removal of the tree could cause heave to your property.
  3. Remove it under guidance from a tree surgeon, qualified arborist or a structural engineer.

If the tree is planted on a public footway:

  1. Write to your local authority straight away ensuring that you use a trackable postal service for the letter.  If you can, get an email address for the relevant department and also email a copy of the letter.
  2. Check with your neighbours to see if they are being affected by the tree and if they have contacted the council about the issue.  Ask for copies of their correspondence to the council.
  3. Continually chase the council – write to them once a week until they deal with the issue.

When the subsidence issue has been resolved and your property has been repaired, there should be no risk of subsidence happening again.

If your property has been underpinned, you may expect to pay a higher amount for your buildings insurance.

Before you purchase a property, check whether subsidence is a common problem in the area.  What soil is your property built on?

If you need to make an insurance claim, click here.

Find further how-to guides:

Improve your chances of securing a Mortgage
Improve Your Credit Score
Buy a Property for the First Time
Buy and Sell a Property at the same time
Buy a Council Property
Re-Mortgage a Property
Reduce your Mortgage Payments
How to Extend a Lease Agreement
Insurance you need for a Property
Become a Landlord
Improve your Property to Sell
Conveyancing Solicitor
Mortgage Finder