What Are Cold Weather Payments
In the winter months, it can be miserable for those who just cannot afford to heat their homes. Many keep warm by layering up with thermal wear but some crank up the heating then find they cannot afford the bills. You can apply for a cold-weather payment in England and Wales which really help those in need.
The government give given certain qualifying households financial help when the temperature drops below zero for one consecutive week.
- If you are eligible to get a cold weather payment, you will be paid it automatically.
- You can apply if you are receiving certain benefits or support for mortgage interest
- If you qualify you’ll receive a payment if the temperature in your area drops or is forecast to be 0 degrees Celsius or below for over 7 consecutive days. Between 1 November and 31 March, you will get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather.
- Payment is made within 14 working days.
- Cold Weather payments do not affect your other benefits.
Please note, cold weather payments are different from winter fuel payments and the Warm Home Discount scheme.
Click here to claim.
Find Further Guides, Products and Services here
Winter Fuel Payment
How to reduce mortgage payments