Spring is round the corner which is the best time to look to buying a property.
Get your finances in order:
- Enlist the services of a good mortgage advisor/broker (this is optional).
- If you are considering changing jobs, change at least a year BEFORE remortgaging and NEVER at the same time as remortgaging or just prior to remortgaging.
Repay your debts:
- Go through your debts, write them down with the amount owed for each debt.
- Go through your expenses (household and work related). Work out how much you can live on each month. Divide the rest between your debts.
- Contact each debtor/company/person that you owe, advise each one what you can afford to pay back.
Check your credit score, ensure it is up to date.
- If it comes back with a low score, contact the credit score company, explain the issue – they may be able to take the default from your score by updating the relevant company to advise them.
Overpay on your current mortgage if you already own your own home.
Ask your parents for financial help with your deposit.
Consider a help to buy scheme.