How to submit a claim for an Employment Tribunal

Canstock image

How to submit a claim for an Employment Tribunal

Before you submit a claim for an Employment Tribunal, you must have an ACAS Early Conciliation certificate number.  For guidance on how to obtain one click here.

To submit a claim you will need:

  1. ACAS Early Conciliation certificate number.
  2. The details of your representative (if you are not handling this application by yourself).
  3. The details of the respondent (the person you are making a claim against).
  4. Employment details (job title, start date, pay information, pension and benefits information).

Once you have all of the details above, follow these step by step instructions:

  1. Fill in an ET1 form here.  Once you have filled it in online, the moment you select print, you will not be able to amend it so check it and double it before you print!  Once printed, save it to your desktop for safe keeping or better still, email it to yourself.
  2. Now go to the Gov.Uk site to make a claim here.
  3. Click on the claim online button.
  4. Click on start a claim button.
  5. Enter your email address to receive a claim number.
  6. Create a memorable word.
  7. Click on save and continue.
  8. Claimaint’s Details: Now enter your details (you are the claimant) Enter your name, date of birth, gender, your contact details etc. Click save and continue.
  9. Group Claims: Are you making a claim with other people, click yes if you are, click no if you are not. Click save and continue.
  10. Representatives Details: If you have someone who’s representing you select yes. If you are representing yourself, select no.  Click save and continue.
  11. Respondents details: Now put the person or organisation you are making a claim against in this section. At the bottom of the form, enter your ACAS early conciliation certificate number (you will find it at the top of the certificate and it will look something like this” R******/**/**.  Click save and continue.
  12. Additional Respondents: Are you making a claim against another person or organisation? If you are click yes.  If you are not, click no.  Click save and continue.
  13. Employment details: Click yes if you have ever been employed by the person or organisation that you are making this claim against, then select what your current work situation is (still working/working a notice period or no longer working for them). You will then need to enter your employment details including Job title, start date, pay, pension and benefits information, whether you have a new job etc.  Click save and continue.
  14. About the claim: For help with this contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.  Select claims that you are making. Unfair dismissal, whether you are applying for a protective award (an award of payment to each person dismissed in a redundancy exercise where the employer has failed to inform and consult appropriately about 20 or more dismissals in a 90 day period), if you are applying for a discrimination claim, include whether its relating to sex, race, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, disability, age, religion or belief, marriage or civil partnership).  Also select if you are reporting suspected wrongdoing at work (you can report things at work that aren’t right, are illegal or if anyone is neglecting their duties (also known as making ‘disclosure in the public interest’)).  Click save and continue.
  15. Claim Details: Write about your claim, include the background, dates and people involved or you can upload a separate document if you have already written this down (just type the word “attached” in the box. You can also mention any other claimants who may be making similar claims as you.
  16. Claim outcome: Indicate what you want if your claim is successful i.e. compensation, a recommendation from a tribunal that the employer takes action so that the problem at work doesn’t happen again, to get your old job back, to get another job with the same employer or associated employer. You can also give details if you’re claiming financial compensation.
  17. More about the claim: you can submit anything else that will help the tribunal come to a decision about whether your case can be heard. Whatever you write may be seen by the respondent.
  18. Fee: You will then be advised how much fee is to pay which could be £250. If the claim goes to a tribunal, you may have to pay an additional hearing fee.  To see more about fees click here.
  19. To find if are exempt from paying fees click here.
  20. Check your claim: You will then need to check the information you have submitted is correct before submitting the claim at the bottom of the page.
  21. Now go through the application, check everything again then if you are happy with it, submit the claim at the bottom of the page.

What happens next

  1. A copy of your ET1 is sent your employer.
  2. At any time during this process, either you or your employer can make contact with ACAS in an attempt to conciliate with you in an attempt to try to settle the claim before going to tribunal.

If employer wants to defend the claim

  1. Your employer will respond using an ET3 form within 28 days of receiving the ET1.
  2. The Tribunal will then send both parties orders stating a timeline for both parties to disclose to each other witness statements, schedule of loss and any other documentation to be used at tribunal.  This would include your recordings on a memory stick, emails and all documents ready for disclosure.
  3. You may also be required to attend a preliminary hearing to determine the issues between the parties.