How to opt out children from NHS data sharing
The deadline to opt-out from NHS data sharing (or data-grab) is 1st September 2021. If you want to opt out yourself, you can do so if you are age 14 or over, however, if you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13, you will need to do this on their behalf. You can make a choice or change a choice for yourself, children under the age of 13 and someone you can legally make decisions for. So, how to opt out children from NHS data sharing?
Follow our guide:
First you need to opt-out through the NHS and then you need to opt-out through your GP practice.
Opting Out through NHS
- You will need your NHS number and all the NHS numbers of all your family members. To find this information click here. You will need to provide their full name, date of birth and the postal code of the property they reside in.
- Click here for the form you will need to fill out. You can either print it off and post it, or save the form to your desktop and email it to the email address provided here.
- You can also telephone your choice on the following number: 0300 303 5678 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays) (but bear in mind by calling, you may not receive confirmation in writing of your choice). If you use this method, ask the operator to email you confirmation of your choice before you end the call.
- To view the NHS digital privacy notice that explains how your data is used to apply your choice, click here.
- To find out when your choice does not apply, click here.
Opting out through your GP
Print out a copy of the form you have posted or emailed to the NHS and write a covering letter to your GP. The letter should state the following:
[address of GP]
Dear [insert name of GP or medical practice]
I am writing to inform you that the persons listed in the attached form confirm their wish to opt-out of sharing data with the NHS and organisations that are involved in the data sharing service.
I do not allow my and or my child(ren)’s confidential patient information to be used for research or planning or to be shared with other third parties without my written consent.
I confirm that:
The information I have given in this letter and the enclosed form is correct.
I am the parent or legal guardian of any child or children I am making a choice for.
[write your signature here]
[insert your full name and address]
Find Further How To Guides here:
How to Be a Happier Mum