How to stop nuisance calls.
On 8th November 2016 I received a call from a company cold calling me about something or other, so I decided to actually do something about it.
I reported it to the TPS (details below).
For the past two years I have not received one nuisance call.
If you are sick of receiving unwanted marketing calls that either call and hang up or ask you whether you have been involved in an accident or incident or about how to claim back a PPI. If this is you, you need to contact the TPS.
What is the TPS?
The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS. The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. It is unlawful to make direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.
How can I register?
- Call the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) on: 0845 070 0707
2. Head to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) website here.
- If you are registering online, follow this guide:
- On the left hand side menu, click register.
- Select which option applies to the mobile or landline you wish to register (residential number, sole trader, partnership, limited company (including organisations such as Hospitals, schools, Government Departments and other Corporate subscribers) or PLC then click continue
- Enter your number (the number you wish to register to stop receiving calls)
- Then enter your post code and click continue
- Select your address then click continue.
- Indicate the reason why you want to register that number from one of the following then click continue after making your selection:
- To stop unwanted telephone marketing calls
- To stop SMS messaging
- To stop calls at inconvenient times
- To enable valid calls to get through to me
- To stop marketing of products that I have no interest in
- You will then be asked how you heard about the TPS. After making your selection click continue.
- You will then be directed to enter in your email address and your title (Mr, Mrs or Miss). If you are registering a residential number and do not wish to give your e-mail address, call the registration line on 0845 070 0707. If you do not enter your details, your registration will not be complete. When you have entered your details, click continue.
- You will see a message on the screen that says an “email will be been sent to you confirming the registration. Upon receipt of the e-mail you will need to “click” on the “Link” provided to complete your registration.”
- Open your emails, click on the link and you will then receive a message advising that your registration has been successful. You should now start to receive fewer calls. If you do receive any calls after 28 days, you should then click here to complain.
If after 28 days you are still receiving unwanted sales and marketing telephone calls to make an official complaint write to the Information Commissioners Office (the body for the enforcement of the relevant legislation). Details below:
The Office of the Information Commissioner
Tel: 03031 231 113
Fax: 01625 524 510