How to get rid of wasp nests
If you find a wasp nest inside your home or in your outside space, there are many ways to eradicate them. Wasps can sting multiple times and will attack if you get too close.
When you treat a nest, leave it where it is for at least three days before removing it so that any returning wasps are also eradicated.
When dealing with any wasp nest (in the roof/attic, garden, behind guttering, behind an air brick or around dormer windows where the main roof and the dormer meet) you should always put on a protective suit, gloves and a face mask.
Follow our guide:
- The best time of day to use this method is in the evening when wasps are not so active. Do take care not to disturb the colony and do not return to the nest until all wasp activity has ceased.
- Put on a protective suit, gloves and face mask.
- Always use a powder duster so that you can reach into small crevices and cracks and hard to reach areas. When using a powder duster, you have to hold it at an angle in order for the powder to go down the tube.
- Using wasp/nest killer powder, place the powder inside the powder duster.
- Apply the powder to the nest covering as much of the nest as possible.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Check the area in a day or two. If wasps still active, repeat the procedure and leave the area immediately. Keeping doing this until you have killed off the nest
- Once the nest is save to remove, ensure you are wearing your protective clothing when you remove it. Dispose of it carefully.
- You can now follow this guide to cover your air bricks all around your property to stop them getting in.
- You can also fill in any cracks and holes throughout your home using resin bond and an applicator gun (for instructions click here).
Products you will need:
Powder Duster (click to view on Amazon)
This duster is simple to use and compresses easier than other dusters. This is the perfect duster for applying powder into air vents or holes that are easily accessible to deal with wasps nests. Works perfectly with any powder insecticide or diatomaceous earth powder.
Protective face mask (click to view on Amazon)
This protective face mask protects against non-toxic and irritating dusts up to 4 times the threshold limit value defined for the substance (TLV), with nose bridge. The valve facilitates inhalation and exhalation. The dolomite testing allows use for more than six hours. Non-reusable. Area of application: bagging cement, gypsum, grain, drilling, threshing, against allergy caused by flour dust, grinding, sawing, shredding, swine flu, bird flu, etc.
Protective Suit (click to view on Amazon)
Protective suit with round hat and veil which is available in all sizes. The suit is made of hard wearing pre shrunk 100% polyester/cotton. It is designed for great visibility, protection, comfort and it is machine washable. The elasticated hat liner stops the hat moving whilst you are working. It comes with a detachable twin hoop veil that has excellent visibility. The suit has an elasticised waist, ankles and wrists with thumb loops and has ankle zips. There are 9 pockets (two in each arm, two breast pockets with a pen compartment, two waist pockets and one long leg pocket for any tools. It also has reinforced knee patches.
Protective Gloves (click to view on Amazon)
These protective gloves have long sleeves and are well ventilated. When you wear the protective suit with these gloves, pull the gloves over the arms of the suit to prevent any contact with the product you are using.
Wasp Nest Powder (click to view on Amazon)
This rapid and effective powder will rapidly and effectively kill the wasps in a nest. The powder should be dusted liberally onto the nest or in piles at the entrance. This powder contains permethrin.
Resin Bond (click to view on Amazon)
This is perfect to use in those hard to reach places where little insects and even bigger ones can get into your home. Once it is applied, nothing will be able to get through any cracks or holes in your property.
Resin Bond Applicator (click to view on Amazon)
Professional mastic/sealant/resin bond gun with a hexagonal rod and re-enforced ring. Works perfectly with resin bond tube (above). For instructions on use click here.
How to use a powder duster
If you have any other issues, click on the relevant guides below: