When we make that purchase and finally move in there is no guide or handbook to help you, you are on your own! Know where everything is and who is responsible for it.
- Register your move with your local authority (provide details of old address and new one if not done so already). If you are a single person you should receive 25% discount.
- Locate your Gas meter (and supplier) and take/submit a reading.
- Locate your Electricity meter (and supplier), take and submit a reading.
- Locate your water meter (if one installed) (and know who supplies your water).
- Know who supplies your water, get in contact, submit a meter reading if meter installed.
- Get a second set of keys cut for front and back doors and windows.
- Locate your water stop cock check it is working properly.
- Check there are no leaks in bathroom/kitchen under the sink.
- Contact your freeholder (if you have purchased a flat) and get a copy of your buildings insurance policy.
- Have the boiler serviced (if no paperwork with the appliance).
- Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector Place it next to your boiler.
- Install a smoke Alarm.
- If you have a dog or cat, check that the garden doesn’t contain poisonous plants.
Inform people and companies of your move by using this handy table:
|Friends and family|
|Home Insurance Companies|
|Credit Card Companies|
|HMRC (Inland Revenue)|
|Post Office (if re-directing post)|
|Satellite and internet providers|
|Credit card company|
|Vehicle Insurance Companies|
|Subscriptions (magazine etc)|