What is a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

0
602
Image of CO
Canstock image

A Carbon monoxide detector detects the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) gas in your home.  If this gas is detected in your home, you will need to repair or replace the fuel burning appliance causing the problem.

All homes that contain a boiler or fuel burning appliance should have a carbon monoxide detector nearby (at least 1-3 metres from the appliance and not in a cupboard).  If you have a boiler in your kitchen, your kitchen should have one.  If you have a gas heater in the living room, your living room should have one.

Carbon monoxide can cause harmful and potentially fatal effects because it is colourless, tasteless and odourless.  If it escapes into your property, you may suffer from drowsiness, chest pains, vomiting, headaches, vision problems and eventually loss of consciousness. Some of these symptoms can be misdiagnosed as food poisoning, flu or fatigue.

To reduce the risk, get your boiler regularly serviced by a Gas Safe engineer.